Monday, September 17, 2012

I discovered the gem of flash fiction from the late, great Cynthia Wilson.  She asked us all to write a story no more than 500 words in length.  We gawked.  Some stuttered.  A few quietly hyperventilated. Another few never showed up for class again.  I went home and studied, then wrote my favorite piece to date.  There's something to be said for the economy of words, the clear and concise prose, which flash fiction demands.

A few of my favorite examples:


“A college instructor told his students to write a short story in as few words as possible and containing the following three aspects:
1.       Religion
2.       Sexuality
3.       Mystery
Below is the only A+ story in the entire class:
“Good God, I’m pregnant; I wonder who did it?”
~ Anonymous/Unknown 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dragon Tales
"Why're you here?" the dragon bellowed. "Where's my virgin?"
"No virgins."
"No virgins?!"
"Not one. None to be had. They've all been had." She winked seductively.
"Not funny! Every six months, I get a virgin. That's the deal. I never re-ally liked virgin. Too bland. Humans decided that dragons eat virgins." He patted his stomach. "I've a sensitive stomach, so I agreed."
"I brought pigs."
"BAH!"
"No pigs?"
"No!"
She paled.
He gobbled her up, then burped smoke. "I do like a spicy wench, but they sure don't like me. Now where did I put that antacid?"
~ S. Joan Popek

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At Confession

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned."
"How long since your last confession?"
"Two years."
"What's the trouble?"
"I have wished death on a man."
"You haven't acted on your wish?"
"Not yet."
"Who is the man?"
"He is cheating with my wife."
The priest paled. "I forgive you."
I shot him through the screen.
Harvey Stanbrough


No comments:

Post a Comment